The 34th edition of the Marathon des Sables will take place from 5 to 15 April 2019 in the heart of southern Morocco's Sahara.
Beyond the sporting side of this adventure, it is a real survival challenge coupled with a human adventure that will be experienced by nearly 1000 competitors.
Created in 1986, this run takes place every year in April in southern Morocco, in the Ouarzazate region. From a distance of about 250km and with 6 stages, this race takes place in food self-sufficiency, which means that each competitor carries on his back his food for a week (only water is provided), as well as his mandatory equipment. The weight of the bag must be at least 6.5kg and at most 15kg. Riders must have 2,000 k/calories per race day or face penalties.
These adventurers will cross dunes, djebels, stony plateaus, ergs, dry lakes, palm groves, small mountains, all under the heat of the desert that can reach extreme temperatures! In the heart of an exceptional desert environment, they will have to fight against sand, heat and themselves. They will have to surpass themselves to complete their challenge.
More than 1000 competitors are expected for this 34th edition.
The planning of the Marathon des Sables
- April 5: arrival of competitors in Morocco / departure for long press trips, bivouac transfer
- 6 April: inspection day
- April 7, 8 and 9: first, second and third steps
- 10 and 11 April: long stage (4th stage) / departure short press trip
- April 12: marathon stage, last stage counting towards the ranking
- April 13th: Solidarity stage MARATHON DES SABLES timed and qualifying
- April 14: free day
- 15 April: return of competitors to their country of origin / return of press trips
Throughout this event, Restaurant Le Foundouk welcomes you with its Moroccan cuisine and its terrace offering a magnificent view of the medina of Marrakech.